The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
https://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=15814
Reported By:                Lagu
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   15814
Category:                   (No Category)
Reproducibility:            have not tried
Severity:                   feature
Date Submitted:             2015-10-27 16:52 EDT
Hi, here a feature request for optimizations, acutally we use a lot the
preprocessor options, cmake helps a lot with this but actually in the
development have a hight time's consume when we try to test or compile more
times with different options, so if it posible add an option to split the
compilations fase, first compile the project without the preprocessor, and then
compile with the requested options, i found in this page some options to do this
with gcc at least:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4049962/can-i-squeez-my-own-program-between-the-preprocessor-and-compiler

i'm very bad explaining this so i'll try to say with way too, first an example,
we have a foo project with a fuu-1 and fuu-2 preprocessor options, so if we want
compile the project we do:

cmake . -Dfuu-1=ON -Dfuu-2=ON

if we need both options, and then we do make and the project is compiled, but if
we want try other like

cmake . -Dfuu-1=ON -Dfuu-2=OFF

the project recompile the files with the modified preprocessor.
So the idea, first compile the project without the preprocessor options, then as
second phase compile with the options, so if we change some option when we use
make the compiler skip the first phase and only compile the preprocessor
options.

sorry my bad eng.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change