On 11/09/2015 10:45 AM, Jakub Korbel wrote:
> I spent couple of days adding IAR Workbench generator for ARM into CMake.

Thanks for coming forward with this work.

I'm not familiar with IAR Workbench myself so I invite anyone
interested in it to jump in here.

> The problem is, I do not know about the standards for making such
> generator, e.g. CMake coding standards, what form should it take
> - what to put  into Find*.cmake, what to leave for toolchain file,
> etc.

It looks like you've prototyped it as an "extra" generator meaning
that the project file format is not used to drive the build but
instead is only for an IDE.  The actual build is still driven by
another generator.  Is this what is needed?

>From a quick look through the patch it looks like a lot of
things are hard-coded for specific configurations like "Debug"
or "Release".  CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE can be set to any value including
user-defined configurations.  Does IAR Workbench care about the
specific configurations in some way?

> Does any manual exist on any of these topics?

The cmake-developer(7) manual is all we have for development docs.

Actually the internals of CMake, and in particular the generators,
are undergoing major refactoring right now.  It may not affect
"extra" generators much though.