How does qmake handle this conflict of resource names?

The QT4_MAKE_OUTPUT_FILE() part looks fine to me.

However, have you considered an alternative to
string(RANDOM LENGTH 16 outfilename)
which is to allow the caller to pass in the "-name ..." option.

qt4_add_resources(app_source_res res_a.qrc OPTIONS -name res_a)
qt4_add_resources(app_source_res res_b.qrc OPTIONS -name res_b)

If the caller needs truly random names, the caller could still do a
string(RANDOM ...).

Clint