On 09/14/2016 11:25 AM, Yves Frederix wrote:
> replace it by sequentially running two almost identical msbuild
> commands: first targeting ZERO_CHECK and then targeting whatever
> target the user requested, picking up any changes to the project
> files.

For `cmake --build` we already need to detect the generator used
for the build tree in order to ask it to construct the appropriate
command line.  For the VS generator we could directly run the same
check that ZERO_CHECK would run in order to decide whether to regen
the build files first.  That would avoid going through msbuild for
this step altogether.