I remember asking for the same thing a few weeks ago on IRC because of a
small behaviour change in cmake 3.8.0 rc2 that I wanted to put behind an
if(version_less).

Alphanumeric ordering would certainly work for most projects : alpha < beta
< rc. (I generally use a0, a1, a2... b0, b1, b2...)

Best
Jean-Michaël