I work at Microsoft on the version of CMake shipping with Visual Studio, and we
use the cmake-server to talk to CMake.

At some point between cmake version 3.9.0 and 3.9.1 the cmake-server protocol
changed. Looking through the source code, I see that
cmServerProtocol1::ProtocolVersion now returns 1,1 when it used to return 1,0.
Has there been discussion about backwards compatibility? In particular we were
thinking something along these lines would be nice.

  *   Every change to the information returned from CMake increments the
protocol number
  *   CMake -server supports all protocol numbers by letting you specify which
one you are requesting. Extra data that is ignored is okay with older
protocols, but it can't change the expected data.
  *   CMake -server has tests to verify it supports older protocol numbers.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you.
Justin