On 9/18/2017 8:16 AM, Brad King wrote:
On 09/15/2017 09:22 AM, Edward Diener wrote:
A gui environment like Visual Studio does provide
functionality to just compile one or more source files, and it also
provides functionality to just build an executable from one or more
source files without actually running that executable.

Yes.  We just need it to be generated separately from the main build
system so that "Build Solution" or our ALL_BUILD.vcxproj don't try
to build the tests.  Some work will be needed on the CMake side to
do this in a built-in way.

Do you happen to know if/how it is possible to take a .vcxproj with
multiple source files (ClCompile entries) and use MSBuild to compile
just one of the sources from the command-line?  The IDE must do it
somehow with the right-click "Compile" option.  Similarly in Xcode?

I do not know much about MSBuild since I have normally used the IDE.

I would just like to see a built-in
equivalent to testing under CMake which involves only a successful
compilation or not, equivalent to Boost Build's 'compile/compile-fail'
rule and a built-in equivalent to testing which involves only a
successful build or not of a non-build target equivalent to Boost
Build's 'link/link-fail' rule. I think both of the latter are valid
testing methodologies which do not involve an actual run-time test.

Yes, having a built-in solution would be nice.  Currently these can
only be achieved indirectly by writing tests that configure projects
that are not configured by CMake as part of the main project.

BTW, where is the corresponding discussion of this problem on the
Boost side taking place?

When the original announcement from the Boost Steering Committee was made a few months back that Boost would be moving to CMake there were numerous discussions about converting jam files to CMake and how this can be done, largely on the Boost developers mailing list. I brought up issues about how to duplicate Boost Build testing under CMake. Since then there has been little further discussion about this or indication by the Boost Steering Committee how this was to be done, on the developers mailing list. One implementation popularly considered is on Github as https://github.com/boost-cmake/bcm, but that implementation of a pure compile test is a kludge IMO, which led to this discussion here.