On 2017-11-08 06:54-0500 Brad King wrote:

[...]
I've updated the test.  Change the name from _ARGS to _FLAGS:

```
CMake_TEST_CONTRACT_PLplot_CMAKE_FLAGS:STRING=-DBUILD_TEST=ON -DBUILD_DOC=ON
-DBUILD_DOX_DOC=ON
```
[...]
I've added an option:

```
CMake_TEST_CONTRACT_PLplot_GIT_TAG:STRING=plplot-5.12.0
```

The value can be anything that `git checkout` understands
(tag, branch, commit sha1, etc.).

Hi Brad:

Thanks for these changes which all work well (see
<https://open.cdash.org/viewTest.php?onlypassed&buildid=5134501> for
details).  The Contracts.PLplot test (for the current PLplot master
branch HEAD) passed in < 10 minutes (even with
all the extra documentation building I have configured) which is
acceptable when compared to the total length of this test.

As far as I can tell there is only one issue left which
is I get the following X11 authentication warnings when running this test in
Experimental mode.

# Check DISPLAY environment variable
software@raven> printenv |grep DISPLAY
DISPLAY=localhost:10.0

software@raven> time (nice -19 ctest -S
~/cmake/Dashboards/Scripts/CMakeScripts/my_dashboard.cmake -VV >& ctest.out16)

The only thing I can find in ctest.out16 corresponding to these
warnings is

264: application-specific initialization failed: couldn't connect to display
"localhost:10.0"
264: Error in startup script: couldn't connect to display "localhost:10.0"

As a result of that error, the PLplot build system concludes Tk does
not work for the given platform and as a result it disables building
all Tk-related components of PLplot for this contract test.  Which
makes this contract test not quite as powerful as it should be.

What is going on behind the scenes is the PLplot build system executes
the Tk "wish" command to simply confirm version consistency.  So it is
used in a noninteractive way even though by default wish momentarily
displays a blank GUI before wish exits with the required version
information.

That works fine when I run cmake by hand to configure PLplot since for
those cases I never get the above X11 authentication errors.  And I
can launch any X application I like (such as wish or xterm) without
such authentication errors as well.  In other words, my X11
authentication environment is just fine.  As a result for my
interactive desktop environment, running wish with execute_process
and configuring PLplot always "just works".

But in Nightly mode, a crontab environment obviously does not include
a DISPLAY variable so any attempt to configure PLplot in that
environment would encounter this same error.  So I plan to
drop the wish version consistency check that is currently implemented
whenever the DISPLAY environment variable is not set, and I
am virtually positive that will fix this issue for the Nightly case.

However, it appears this planned change will NOT fix the issue for the
above Experimental case because I am pretty sure DISPLAY was defined
internally when the above ctest command was being executed (because
the error message referred to "localhost:10.0" which is the same as
the DISPLAY environment variable set before the above ctest command
was executed).  So if that proves to be the case, I also plan to drop
the wish-based version consistency checks when a particular PLplot
build-system option is set, and also set that option for the
Experimental case.  Of course, if that additional fix (beyond the
DISPLAY check) is necessary it smacks of a workaround for some X11
authentication issue for the CMake contract testing environment for
the Experimental case so I thought I should bring that issue to your
attention just in case there is an easy solution you could implement
for that issue.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

Linux-powered Science