Perhaps keep an eye on the work going on in merge request 1524
<https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/merge_requests/1524>, which may
allow you to use object libraries in target_link_libraries(). Not sure if
it would cut the dependencies in the way you are seeking, but maybe take a
look and see.

--
Craig Scott
Melbourne, Australia