Yes, it should be configurable via one option flag.

The cmake user can control it but it is not well documented and different to
configure depending on compiler and generator used:

#for ninja generator:
set(CMAKE_DEPFILE_FLAGS_CXX "-MMD -MT <OBJECT> -MF <DEPFILE>" CACHE STRING
"dependency flag" FORCE)

# for makefile generator:
option(CMAKE_DEPENDS_IN_PROJECT_ONLY „do NOT use system header dependencies“ ON)

But I am still wondering why different default behaviors in Nina and Makefile
generators?

Claus