Dear CMake Developers Team,

I have a question regarding CMake. We are currently working on a rather big
project and we would like to build it with CMake.
The structure of the project looks like the following: we have a root directory
where we have 50+ subdirectories with projects in them with their own
CMakeLists.txt files.
These subprojects are successfully built with cmake on their own. What we would
like to do now is building the whole project together. It would be really easy
(with add_subdirectories or include or ExternalProject_Add, we tried all of
these) but the problem is that these subprojects are depending on each other
and building the whole project with these will result in the cmake running for
hours and hours (stuck at saying Configuring done, eventually it will finish,
but it runs for hours).
We implemented in these cmake files our own logic to not to generate and build
the same subprojects multiple times (using a property, which is a list, where
we store the already included targets name and every time we try to add a new
target it checks whether its already included or not).
We would be glad if you could help us out with some advice on how to accomplish
building the whole big project without building some targets multiple times but
building it effectively without having to wait hours for the cmake to run.

Thank you in advance,
Kinga Kása