On 2018-12-05 09:22-0500 Brad King via cmake-developers wrote:

On 12/4/18 4:08 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
  Build Warnings (1)

*** WARNING non-zero return value in ctest from:
C:\cmake-3.13.1-win64-x64\bin\cmake.exe

That's in the "Build" section and indicates that the build command
exited with non-zero status.  If you want to try to reproduce that
by hand, run the `cmake --build . --config Debug` command rather
than `ctest`.

`cmake --build`'s exit code just forwards from the native build tool.
It may be that MSBuild has chosen to exist with non-zero for some reason.

Hi Brad:

Did you mean "ctest --build-and-test ..." rather than "cmake --build
..."?  I assume if the build part of "ctest --build-and-test ..."
returned with some non-zero return code, then you would get a message
like the above that mentions ctest in a way that implies it is running
the show.  But I cannot see any way you could get such a WARNING
message from "cmake --build ...".  I hasten to add that I have been
completely content over the years to use cmake, make, and ctest
separately, and I have no experience using them in an
integrated way (e.g., "cmake --build ..."  or "ctest --build-and-test
..."). So my comment is based on my quick reading the appropriate
sections of the man pages for cmake and ctest this morning, and I may
have missed some way that a cmake command could generate what appears
to be a message from ctest.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

Linux-powered Science