Hi!

I’m currently struggling with trying to build GNOME projects using meson, but
depending on CMake-built libraries, either in the wild or inside a package
manager. I have managed to uncover that the way Meson is trying to invoke CMake

https://github.com/microsoft/vcpkg/issues/6683#issuecomment-533034646

to obtain dependency information is no longer maintained in CMake, or at least
discouraged for new projects. My queries on the Meson forums did not resonate
well (in fact they didn’t resonate at all):

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mesonbuild/OEB0UIlLl0A

Are there any opinions in how to make ends meet? I’m trying to build GIMP on
Ubuntu LTS releases, which often have outdated packages that cannot be used to
build GNOME master branches as well as build them natively on Windows using
Vcpkg ports. The current method Meson tries to use CMake is totally
Vcpkg-unfriendly. As far as I saw --find-package mode and toolchain failes are
not friends, even configuring a one-line main.cpp fails due to basic variables
not being set in --find-package mode.

What specific routes do you see viable?

Best regards,
Máté