Mike Jackson wrote:
The -install_name option is _already_ being specified by cmake somewhere so when I tried your suggestion, I get an error during link phase that the -install_name option is being specified twice. Is there a master config file somewhere for cmake that I can just edit? How else would cmake know to put in this option?

CMake uses the install_name to approximate UNIX rpaths in the build tree. You will want to set VTK_USE_RPATH to OFF. Otherwise there is no install option anyway.

It _is_ off. Should I try a clean build at this point?

Oops, I forgot that -install_name is also used when RPATH is off but it just doesn't include any path. You can do this in the build tree to get rid of it:

cmake . -DCMAKE_SHARED_LIBRARY_SONAME_C_FLAG:STRING= \
        -DCMAKE_SHARED_LIBRARY_SONAME_CXX_FLAG:STRING=

You could also edit Darwin.cmake in the CMake installation to get rid of these flags. Also if you're using Xcode for the build they shouldn't be showing up anyway. If they are please send me the complete link line it uses.

The right way to do this is to add a CMake feature to allow an explicit install_name to be specified and then update VTK to take advantage of the feature. To get this done you'll have to add the feature requests I mentioned earlier.

-Brad