Wheeler, Frederick W (GE, Research) wrote:
The old tclsh Dart had the following return values.  Does ctest use the same
values?  I don't see anything about ctest return values on the man page or the
cmake wiki.

# Dart status for continuous builds:
#   0:   source changed, submitted ok
#   1:   source did not change, no submission attempted
#   128: submission failed because ftp failed

For VXL continuous builds I use these return values in a sh script to determine
whether a dependent GEVXL continuous build should be forced.  After the VXL
build is done, the GEVXL build is run, but I force the GEVXL build to
build/test/submit, even if no GEVXL source has changed, if the VXL continuous
build actually ran and submitted.  The reason for this, is that even if no
GEVXL source has changed, there may be a change in VXL that affects the GEVXL
build/test.

CTest does a whole lot more than Dart and we cannot have a special-purpose return value. It returns zero if all requested operations succeeded and non-zero otherwise. Whether a source changed does not affect whether the Update test step succeeded. You can try looking at the update log for the number of files changed.

-Brad