SET_TARGET_PROPERTIES(file PROPERTIES COMPILE_FLAGS
 "-DBLAH -DBLLAH -DBLLAAHH")

is a very common form that will be used heavily by people in CMake 2.3 onwards. Anybody who has to do lotsa trivial combos of libraries will be doing it; for instance, shared vs. static libraries, and debug vs. release libraries. The quotes around the flags are necessary because items in a PROPERTIES list have to come in pairs. I humbly submit that the following syntax would be of great use to people:

SET_COMPILE_FLAGS(file -DBLAH -DBLLAH -DBLLAAHH)

so that they don't have to be "quote paranoid" about everything, and also have less to type. I would have created a macro for this, but my 5 minute perusal of the docs did not yield a painless way to manipulate ARGV. On the positive side, at least I finally understood at an intuitive level what Scheme's CAR and CDR are for. (It's so you can knock the front off the arguments.)

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every