At 05:03 PM 5/26/2006, Axel Roebel wrote:

>cmake --help
>"cmake variables"
> --build_type       Choose the type of build, options are: ...
> --install_prefix   Install path prefix, prepended onto install  directories
> --verbose_make If this value is on, makefiles will be
>
>project options
>--USE_FOOBAR "use the foobar package"  (FALSE)
>
>project variables
>MYPROJECT_INSTALL_PREFIX /myinstall/location

So, I guess cmake --help would run cmake in some sort of run but do not do
anything mode.   It would read all the list files and collect up all the cache
variables, but not write the cache, or any build files.  It would read any cache
that was there, to get the current state of things.

>If cmake is run and the options did change it could
>return with error and display a warning:
>
>cmake --prefix=/myopt --USE_FOOBAR=1
>... snip
>warning: configuration options changed
>see new choices with cmake --help

The warning is not a bad idea, and the logic is in cmake -i.