I have the following line in a CMakeList.txt

SET(SimpleViewSrcs $(SimpleViewSrcs) SimpleView3.cxx)

What does $(SimpleViewSrcs) stands for? I used the
MESSAGE($(SimpleViewSrcs)) and prints out:
main.cxxSimpleView3.cxx

Can someone explain what main.cxxSimpleView3.cxx stands for? I checked
the cmake manual and see this:
#  SET: Set a CMAKE variable to a given value.
<snip>

  SET(VAR VALUE1 ... VALUEN).

In this case VAR is set to a semicolon separated list of values.

This is the one your looking for... Basically, it is setting the
VARiable "SimpleViewSrcs" to whatever it had before VALUE1
"$(SimpleViewSrcs)" and VALUE2 "SimpleView3.cxx". In other words,
appending SimpleView3.cxx to the source list contained in
SimpleViewSrcs. Of course, $(SimpleViewSrcs) is expanding to the
contents of the variable in this case main.cxx.