Richard Fuchs wrote:

I’m setting up the build environment for our project and I’ve been looking around to find some examples of how to create CMakelists.txt files and the only examples I’ve come across so far are the trivial ones on the cmake page and the crazy convoluted ones (well, from my novice perspective) from kde, vtk and such.

I actively develop the CMake build for the Chicken Scheme compiler.
http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/index.html
Chicken is a fairly small project.  There is only 1 subdirectory and 2 CMakeLists.txt files.  It has a lot of non-trivial stuff for the problem of bootstrapping a compiler.  In particular, a lot of dependencies on generated files and exes.  You can get the latest CMake build from the Darcs repository.  We still don't ship the CMake build in the official tarballs as the build is still provisional.  Only today did I wipe out the last major build impediment, I think.  Directions for how to obtain and build the CMake build are in the official tarball sources though.  Look for INSTALL-CMake.txt.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every