At 03:55 PM 9/6/2006, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>Michael Casadevall wrote:
>>>
>>>My intent here is not to start a flamewar between autotools and cmake, In
>>>some cases, autotools is the proper tool vs cmake due to cross-compiling
>>>(which will hopefully fixed) and the fact that you need the cmake executable
>>>to build any CMake package. autotools configure script merely needs a shell
>>>interpreter,
>
>What do you mean "merely" needs a shell interpreter?  For a fair chunk of
>embedded devices out there, that's tantamount to saying that the Titanic
>"merely" needs to pull into port.  There are 3 cases for embedded devices:
>
>- systems with a Bourne shell and ccmake available
>- systems with a Bourne shell available
>- systems without any kind of shell, or really any kind of resources
>
>Yes, Autoconf has more cross-compilation reach than CMake at present, but it
>hardly covers everything.
Autoconf may need only shell, but CMake only needs a C++ compiler.  Which if
you are
building a c++ program, you should already have, but you are not always
going to have a shell.

As for cross-compilation support, I have never done much with it, what tools
does
autoconf provide to support cross-compiling?  If someone who has used autoconf
for
cross compiling could explain how it works with autoconf, it would be helpful
when
we add support in CMake.

-Bill