> Arjen Markus wrote:

>> Don't forget all those PCs with Windows installed but no Cygwin or
>> MingW: they simply can not use the configure scripts. Of course, one
>> can require these users to install Cygwin or MingW, but what is that
>> different from installing CMake?
>>

> The level of pain.  Cygwin is easy.  It just takes a lot more MB of
> downloads to have a working system, than to grab CMake.  Or, uh, you
> can  grab the CMake that's in Cygwin.  :-)

Hm, I was thinking more of the end-users than developers :).

Installing the sources of a package and then running the ./configure
file should work under both Cygwin and MinGW, but it utterly fails
on a Windows box without them.

> MinGW / MSYS has become *awful* if you're trying to get Autoconf going.
>   I spent an entire day on it recently and almost gave up.  The only
> thing  that saved my ass was a rogue 3rd party project called
> mingw-install.   http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-install  It
> *nukes* the whole MSYS  mess and puts in a bunch of stuff that actually
> works, with the most  current versions of Autoconf and whatnot.

Thanks for the tip! I have never been able to grasp the information
on the home page - what packages I need etc. A simple receipe would
have done: "if you are a typical user/developer, get this and this."

Regards,

Arjen