Sean McBride wrote:
On 2006-09-06 14:26, Brandon J. Van Every said:

However, the whole idea of TRY_COMPILE is of course incompatible with
this, since the minute you assume that the machine doing the building is
the same type as the machine you are building for, you are in trouble...

Actually it's not invalid to compile it.  That's what a cross-compiler
does.  It's invalid to run it.  CMake already has this distinction
between TRY_COMPILE and TRY_RUN, so if TRY_RUN is used inappropriately,
that's user error.  If CMake knows it's in some kind of
cross-compilation mode, it can disallow TRY_RUN and deliver an error.

Ah, I see.  I admittedly know little about CMake, just enough to let me
build vtk really. :)

So for the cross compilation case, or even the more limited case of
Universal Binaries on OS X, does a TRY_COMPILE execute once for each
architecture?  Seems it would need to.  Or is that something currently
lacking?

CMake doesn't have any cross-compilation support at present.  I'm saying, if it were to be implemented, the abstraction of TRY_COMPILE vs. TRY_RUN already exists.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every