Weiguang Guan wrote:
Hello all,

With the help from Bill Hoffman, the problem has been solved. I'd like to share the solution with you.

You may already find articles on the net, talking about free command-line c++ complier from within microsoft's .Net Framework SDK and win32 libs from within Platform SDK. I installed both and successfully compiled all the examples from the "OpenGL RedBook", and mistakenly thought I got the free comipler work.

Then, error occurred when I tried to build VTK --- CMake failed to compile/link a simple c++ program during configuring VTK because libcpmt.lib could not be found. In fact, all the c++ standard libs are NOT shipped with either Framework SDK or Platform SDK.

The right way is using Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition, which is free of charge. You can download it from http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/. You need to uninstall .NetFramework SDK if you already install it, and make sure you set environmental variables correctly --- path, include, lib ...

Just to avoid any misunderstand Visual Studo C++ 2005 is the right way of doing it, simply because Microsoft is recommending it. People should still be able to build CMake/VTK/ITK or any other project using the VC++Toolkit 2003 + Plateform SDK.

libcpmt.lib is in:
C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003/lib

CMake 2.4.5 now uses the 'link' command, which solve the last remaining problem with the free tool:
http://vtk.org/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=3652&pos=0

Mathieu

Ref: Here is what I use:

export PATH='/cygdrive/c/Program Files/CMake 2.4/bin/:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003/bin:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2/Bin:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2/Bin/win64':$PATH export LIB="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003\lib;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Lib" export INCLUDE="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003\include;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Include"