Thompson, David C wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are some
FORTRAN compilers which change the number of underscores
appended depending on whether the name already contains
an underscore (the g77 documentation on -funderscoring, -fno-underscoring, and -fno-second-underscore mentions
this). So perhaps more effort is required. :-(

They indeed exist. A typical example is g77:

my_sub becomes my_sub__
mysub becomes mysub_

but as you need to provide a list of translations manually, this is not a programmatic
problem. Besides the scheme would provide the following names:
my_sub, my_sub_ and my_sub__ (plus uppercase variants)
mysub, mysub_ and mysub__ (plus uppercase variants)

The linker would pick out whatever is suitable :)

Regards,

Arjen