I tried a couple more things. Since the paths were compounded I assumed this was because I could only add files defined with a relative path (wrt the source directory). So I tried to convert the absolute path into a relative path using:

FILE(RELATIVE_PATH
          FILE_IN_RELATIVE_PATH
          ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}
          ${FILE_IN_ABSOLUTE_PATH})

This works only if the source directory and the directory containing the .obj file are on the same drive. In my case, the obj file in on C: while my source directory is on N: and I don't know if one can define a relative path between two drives on Windows.

I there a way to tag a source file as defined with absolute path?

Anton