lucatrv wrote:
2) Since I have two fortran compilers installed, sometimes I chose to use gfortran and sometimes ifort.
However, If I use the following commands in this order:
PROJECT (hello Fortran)
SET (CMAKE_Fortran_COMPILER gfortran)
cmake still tests ifort working when creating the makefile.
The only whay to have cmake make use only of gfortran is to use the commands in the following order:
SET (CMAKE_Fortran_COMPILER gfortran)
PROJECT (hello Fortran)
I think it would be better that cmake set the right compiler also in the first case, also because the required order is not specified in the cmake documentation.

You can not set the compiler like that. You have to set the environment variable FC before you run cmake. There has been a request to add a way to do this from CMakeSetup, but it has not yet been implemented.

Would "cmake -DCMAKE_Fortran_COMPILER:string=/path/to/gfortran" work? I know it works for setting CMAKE_C_COMPILER for small MinGW test programs on Linux, but I'm not sure about the general case.

-- Jack