Alan W. Irwin wrote:
On 2007-06-09 10:22+0400 Nikita V. Borodikhin wrote:

I frankly don't understand why that failed to work.  Completely static
executables are possible with cmake. I know this because I made one several
months ago as a temporary experiment.

They _were_ possible but on cmake >= 2.4.4 they are no longer possible
without setting some variables in CMakeLists.txt (not command line!).

Details: http://www.cmake.org/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=5087&pos=13

Ouch!  That issue is perhaps not something that most Linux users will run
into every day (very few build static executables any more), but static
builds are really fundamental.  Therefore, for the reputation of CMake, I
hope a CMake developer will be able to fix bug 5087 before 2.4.7. This should
not take much time since it looks like Nikita has pinpointed where the
error occurs in his bug report.
So, there is a new work around for this problem.  If you set this variable:

CMAKE_EXE_LINK_DYNAMIC_C_FLAGS "-Wl,-Bstatic"
That should causes a static link.   For all exe in the project.  As a new
feature a LINK_STATIC property should be supported in exe targets,
but this work around should be good enough for 2.4.7.

-Bill