Alan W. Irwin wrote:

PLplot used to have a library built from Fortran and C. It worked okay on
Linux, but caused nothing but trouble on other platforms so we split the
library into two libraries, one containing fortran objects and one containing
C objects, and my life has been much more peaceful ever since.... :-)

So if you cannot get a library with mixed Fortran and C++ objects to build
properly, splitting it will work at least in the case where all Fortran
code depends on C++ code or all C++ code depends on Fortran code. Of course, splitting a library is a bad idea if the resulting two libraries depend on
each other so I don't recommend this course if you have both Fortran code
depending on C++ code and C++ code depending on Fortran code in your library.

The problem with the code I have is that, in the c code we access memory allocated by Fortran (functions and variables ) and I am not certain that if we separate the libraries, it will work. I actually have C++ code that depends on Fortran code that depend on C code. So that would be 3 different libraries if I understood you correctly.... It seems a bit complex (at least for me), but I don't really have a choice since these programs are not mine and I am using them to create a qt user interface. Therefore, I thought (or rather I was told when I asked on the qt list ) that cmake could be the best solution

Marie