yardbird wrote:
Hello,

I would like to use CMake as a build system for a Fortran project of my research group.

The problems I'm experiencing are quite various, but I think I've tracked them down to a single cause. In the specific case, which I'm attaching as a compressed archive, CMake runs fine, but when launching make it hangs at the dependency scanning phase. With other Fortran projects, CMake detects bogus dependencies, which do not exist and have strange names. These strange names helped me to identify the probable cause of the bug, since such names are taken from comments in the source code: they consist of portion of phrases, name, adjectives, etc.

I think CMake is confused when it finds the "USE" keyword somewhere in Fortran comments, and it is tricked into thinking that the keyword is specifying some dependency even if it is placed inside a comment. Indeed, by erasing all comments in source files, usually the build is performed successfully.

Does this make any sense? I would really like to use CMake for these Fortran projects, since I'm already using it heavily in my C/C++ projects and I love it.

Thanks and best regards,

  Francesco.