Jesper Eskilson wrote

Well, that turned out to be a little hasty conclusion.

In case of linking with a DLL, having paths to both the dll and import lib in LINK_DIRECTORIES avoids relinking. So far, so good.

However, I still get relinks due to a dependency on a static library. In this case, I'm unable to add the path using LINK_DIRECTORIES since the path is different depending on the configuration. I'm currently adding the path using the LINK_FLAGS_{DEBUG, ...} target property (which probably is the cause of the relinking).

Something is really strange here. I don't understand how this could happen. It would be really good at this point if you could create a small example project that shows this problem and post it so I can take a look. Really you should be using full paths to libraries and not LINK_DIRECTORIES anyway.

Something like this:
target_link_libraries(foo optimized /full/path/to/relbuild/bar.lib debug /full/path/to/debugbuild/bar.lib)

The odd part is that if you do not use full paths then it should never relink because of a library changing. Something else is different in your cmakelist file. Again, please create a complete
example that shows the problem.

-Bill