On 27.09.07 16:07:46, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> On 2007-09-27 21:53+0200 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> >No it doesn't work properly on win32 - AFAIK. Thats the reason why all
> >cmake FindXXX modules for KDE4/win32 don't use pkgconfig. I'm not sure
> >wether it was about the paths in the .pc files or something else, but
> >fact is that pkconfig is unusable in _plain_ win32 (without msys, which
> >I think creates problems when using cmake).
> >
> >And a link from the pkgconfig website claiming it works properly is not
> >really a proof ;)
>
> I absolutely agree.  :-)
>
> Also, I certainly have no positive proof that pkg-config works on windows
> (of any kind) because I don't use that platform, which is why I quoted the
> website.  That said, the pkg-config people did make that claim on their
> website (why claim it if not true?),

Well, because portability is a big plus? Just guessing here, I never
used pkg-config (why install something of which I've been told by
long-time-win32 developers that its just broken)

> and pkg-config is really quite simple
> (a C programme + glib library) so I would be very surprised if it didn't
> work for some combination of windows with or without MinGW and with or
> without MSYS.

Well, it might run and eventually it might even return something when
you ask it for. Nevertheless there's at least one problem with it: The
paths are hardcoded into the .pc files, which means

a) an installer for a lib has to change this file during installation -
its quite usual to install a program into a different location than its
defaulting to
b) you can't move the lib afterwards without changing the .pc files.

Luckily they're plain text. Wether or not they contain win32-paths or
unix-like paths and wether or not one can adjust pkg-config to create
information for VS I don't know.

> So just out of curiosity are you reporting your own first-hand results for
> the latest version of pkg-config or something that might have been
> historically true?

I'm reporting 2nd hand information from people that have long-time
experience with pkg-config. Unfortunately I can't find the thread on the
kde lists where Christian Ehrlicher pointed out the other issues with
pkg-config, maybe I'll have a try with it tomorrow...

Andreas

--
You will always get the greatest recognition for the job you least like.