When I change the build-configuration using VS2005 the file is modified:

[snip]
{another_id}.Debug|Win32.ActiveCfg = Release|Win32
{another_id}.Debug|Win32.Build.0 = Release|Win32
[/snip]

When I run cmake from scratch and change these two terms manually with a
text editor, VS2005 starts in "Debug" configuration for the solution and
"Release" configuration for the specific project (just as desired).

What do you think about this?

Hello,

You're right it is a feature of Visual Studio, I did not think about this because I don't like the fact that you can mix up debug and release builds into a "Debug" configuration. You should fill a request feature in the mantis base. The feature is some kind of command that can associate a logical configuration with a physicial configuration, something like:
VS_CONFIGURATIONS(
   Debug Release
   Release Release
)