The generator would glob for files within each project, so it would be necessary to rebuild the CMakeList.txt files if meta-information is changed, or if new files are added to a project. Ideally, the generated build system should issue a warning when the CMakeLists.txt files are out of date.
I think you can achieve this with CMake scripts (invoked CMake command line tool with -P argument). This script will call the FILE(GLOB...) or FILE(GLOB_RECURSE...) command and produce a file conaitning the list of all the source file.Then it compares it against the old listing. If there is any changes then it invokes CMake command line tool and regenerate the projects.

There is also some nice macro around this mailing list which can mimic the physical directory structure in your vcproj files.

CMake scripting is not as powerful or handy as other scripting languages but with a bit of work you can do a lot of things. Our framework relies heavily on CMake and this helps to keep it consistent (especially for variables accessing).

--Sylvain