Quoting Gonzalo Garramuño <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
Windows 2000 Server, XP and 2003 Server, at least, include a linkd.exe utility which creates actual symlinks. It only works on NTFS filesystems, AFAIK, but it works well. Active Directory relies uses linkd'd directories in several places (for instance, SYSVOL and SYSVOL/domain).

Nope.  Contrary to Microsoft propaganda, those are not symbolic links
but junction points.  Junction points offer a kind of limited symbolic
link but only on directories.  Files are treated as hard-links.  And
neither one can be relative or cross volumes.  They also suffer from
problems with cycles.  And, as you say, only under a certain file
system.  The windows api also does not expose these properly on a
network either (unlike Samba), so OSes that are not those versions
cannot access them.

Windows Vista includes the first real attempt to add symlinks, but they
are still broken (and dramatically inferior) in comparison to Unix.
Similar limitations: a max of 31 in a directory, relative symlinks
cannot cross volumes, you manually need to distinguish between files
and directories when creating or deleting them, they don't show up to
other machines on the network that are not vista, etc.

So, in summary, no.  I stand by my statement.  No Microsoft OS to this
day supports symbolic links.

You saved me a few hours of development. Thank you!

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org