On Dec 19, 2007, at 1:44 PM, Joël Schaerer wrote:

Quoting David Cole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

One other very good reason, too:
Same target may have two source files of the exact same name, but they exist in different directories (Abc/Object.cxx and Def/Object.cxx). In that case, the object files will be further hidden in subdirectories to avoid two files
in the "object files directory" from having a name collision.

Does that really justify multiplying compilation time by 2 or more? Who would want multiple files with the same name in the same project anyways? Plus, you could very well create a tree structure in the build directory.

I must be missing something but I really don't get how compiling things multiple times for nothing could seem acceptable.

One thing to consider is that targets may have different compilation flags. I suspect this condition could be detected and build multiple .o files.

Another option (gross) is to make a static library out of each object file. This would probably not help, though.

James

On 12/19/07, Alexander Neundorf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Wednesday 19 December 2007, you wrote:
> Yeah, you could even create one static library per executable...
> Awesome! What was the problem with putting all the object files in the > same directory, again? Shouldn't that be an option, at least? It would
> be SO much easier than all the dirty hacks I'm being proposed...

Different targets may be compiled with different compiler flags, defines,
etc.
So the object files for the same source files can differ. This is used in
some projects.

Alex