Yesterday I filed http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=6243
"FindPerlLibs should search harder for Perl".  I gave it priority
"minor," meaning it wasn't burning a hole in anyone's pocket.  It was
summarily closed without comment, resolution "no change required."
But I feel that's missing the point.  FindPerlLibs works fine as long
as you've used FindPerl previously.  But where is it required that
FindPerl be used previously?  Several of the modules are
inter-dependent in practice; they're meant to be used in conjunction,
not standalone.  But there is no explicit dependency requirement
between them, and there is overlap of functionality which can lead to
errors in corner cases.  Also, modules aren't consistent about whether
they include other modules.  FindPNG has include(FindZLib).
FindPerlLibs does not have include(FindPerl).

How difficult would it be to have a dependency system for modules?

Alternately, how about a policy requiring modules to include any
modules that deliver the needed functionality, instead of gratuitously
reinventing the wheel?  I'm sure we agree that as far as the modules
go, we'd like to maintain fewer wheels.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every