Mike Jackson wrote:

On May 8, 2008, at 11:08 AM, Bill Hoffman wrote:

Mike Jackson wrote:

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 10:42 AM, Sean McBride <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    On 5/7/08 3:52 PM, jonathan grimm said:

    >paraview CVS xcodebuild is no longer working.  On a Mac Pro 16GB
    ram with
    >10.5.  I checked and xcodebuild is a 32 bit executable.
    >Makefiles work on the same machine.
    >Is there anything that can be done about this?  The .xcodeproj is
    only 14
    >MB.

    Not working how?  It crashes? it's stuck in an infinite loop? what?
Which version of CMake? Of paraview? Of Xcode? You're not telling
    enough for anyone to help.

Runs out of memory and dies. I sent stuff to apple a while ago and they sort of said it was too big. No one would create something like this by hand because it is too much work. Sad part is visual studio handles projects this size with no problem at all.

-Bill

Did Apple offer any other advice on how to reduce the memory footprint? If it is just the fact of a project file being too large then almost all hope is shot.. but there are a few things to look at.

1: Create an Xcode project that uses makefiles instead of its own build system internals but listing all the files may be the problem here.

I think it maybe just listing the files.

2: Create the Xcode project that contains project references to subprojects (in the case of paraview, each subdirectory would have its own project file, like vtk, etc). This may make each project file smaller and therefor loadable by Xcode. This does mean that using Xcode now requires lots of windows to be open but that may be the price that is paid for Apples inability to create a project file that scales well.

This is one option. However, last time I looked at it, there was no way to make sure dependent things are built in the correct order using this model.

Now knowing where the problem lies I am just guessing at this point on how to reduce the memory footprint so the Xcode project scales better.. or the CMake team has just found the limit for Xcode and that is how the world works in "Apple Land".

I sort of gave up when I first did the Xcode stuff after a few emails to Apple. I really don't have the time/funding to look into this further. However, if someone else wants to create a bug report for Apple, that would be great.

-Bill