Thanks that's perfect. I searched for the visibility flag and came across this useful page,
for anybody reading this with the same problem:
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Visibility

Andreas Pokorny wrote:
Hi,

You should therefore test whether your GCC supports
-fvisibility=hidden, then gcc behaves
like msvc building for shared object files. Then you probably have a
macro that you place
between class and class-name. That macro probably contains either
declspec - import or
declspec - export, when building with msvc. For gcc you simply set the macro:

__attribute__ ((visibility("default")))

in both cases, building the library and including the library somewhere else.

visibility is available in a stable form since 4.0.2. Before that
there were issues with
the standard library.

kind regards
Andreas Pokorny