I recently wondered the same thing, but when I ran the script by this mailing list, using all uppercase didn't seem to be a problem.

Judicaël Bedouet wrote:
Hello,

I have read the README file provided in directory cmake-2.6/Modules.

I would just like to clarify a point : the names of the variables must
always be uppercased even if the name of the package contains
lowercase and uppercase letters, must'nt they ?

For example, if I wrote a FindXalanC.cmake, I would export variables
XALANC_INCLUDE_DIRS, XALANC_LIBRARIES... to respect naming convention
and not XalanC_INCLUDE_DIRS, XalanC_LIBRARIES. Am I right ?

Thanks,

J. Bedouet