Sean Soria wrote:
Sorry, I got myself confused with COMPILE_DEFINITIONS.  It is
INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES that I wanted.  Why is this a directory property
if it can only be set for certain directories (those that contain
targets or whose subdirectories contain targets)?

The concept of a directory property in CMake is not one to one with the disk directories. A directory in CMake is a directory that has a list of targets in it. You can have a target that uses files from all sorts of different directories. So, a directory property is not what you want. What you really want is a source file property that allows setting include directories. This is just not implemented yet. For 99.9% of the cases it does not matter if you get a few extra -I paths. However, this would be a nice to have feature.

http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=1968&nbn=2

-Bill