Is it possible to have CMake be re-run either automatically or via a Makefile target if files are added or removed from one of the directories that CMake has previously checked? I know that checking for changed files is a job of the Makefile, but I am unaware if there is a way for either (g)make or CMake to check for files being added or removed. If this can't be done, I will continue to recommend that CMake be re-run manually if files are added or removed.

Also, if the above can be done for Makefiles, could it also be done for other generators, like the VS project generators?

Thanks,
Naram Qashat