Bill Hoffman wrote:
I still don't get the original problem??? We used to have Makefile: <build system files>. It was removed when that work was pushed into cmake_check_build_system.

Ah. Maybe it should come back?

The original problem is: 'make foo' doesn't work after adding a target 'foo', because the Makefile needs to be regenerated to know about this target. It seems if Makefile depended on the build system files, this would cause Makefile to be regenerated, so 'make foo' would work in this instance.

--
Matthew
You're on your own for the pony. -- Richard Hughes, on feature requests