Piotr Dobrogost wrote:
Bill Hoffman wrote:

It was a mistake
to have CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS and CMAKE_C_STANDARD_LIBRARIES be strings they
should have been lists.

I'm glad you said this. It's something I've been trying to show in my posts.

Certainly CMAKE_C_STANDARD_LIBRARIES should have been a list.  In the case
of CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS it is a cache entry that can be user-defined, and users
editing lists of flags find "-W -Wall" easier than "-W;-Wall".  However,
just because the cache entry should be space-separated doesn't mean that
CMakeLists.txt code should be forced to deal with spaces.  More below.

The problem is there are some variables in CMake which are currently
strings that should be lists.  I don't think the solution is to add list
operations for strings.

This is a solution. Not a bad one because it doesn't change the meaning
of existing code.

Last year I started working on new features to allow projects to specify
flags with modern semicolon-separated lists.  See my comment from
2008-10-09 here:

  http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=6493

I haven't had a chance to finish those changes yet.

-Brad