I use the boost pre-compiled all the time and I don't have any of these issues BUT I do set the BOOST_ROOT environment variable in "My Computer->Advanced Settings" after I install which may be the difference. I use threads, program_options, testing, filesystem and system.

I did notice in the FindBoost that there is a subtle difference in how the directory names are generated:

I think one has boost_1_38 while another has boost-1_38 depending on windows or unix.

From FindBoost.cmake in CMake version 2.6.4 around line 460

list(APPEND _boost_PATH_SUFFIXES "boost-${_boost_BOOSTIFIED_VERSION}")
if(WIN32)
# For BoostPro's underscores (and others?)
list(APPEND _boost_PATH_SUFFIXES "boost_$ {_boost_BOOSTIFIED_VERSION}")
endif()

Do you actually have the Dynamic multi-threaded boost libs installed?

Also, Looking at the CMakeLists.txt file it seems you are trying to parse the Boost_THREAD library variable for something? If you are trying to differentiate between the Release and Debug versions there are the following variables for each boost library.

Boost_PROGRAM_OPTIONS_LIBRARY
Boost_PROGRAM_OPTIONS_LIBRARY_DEBUG
Boost_PROGRAM_OPTIONS_LIBRARY_RELEASE

Any of that help?