John Drescher wrote:

You set BOOST_ROOT in your windows environment variables.

Thanks for the tip. Setting BOOST_INCLUDEDIR environment variable
to "c:/boost/include/boost-1_40" resolved all the problems, no need
to set additional versions, it just worked.

I was a bit surprised to see that after following the instructions
from here:
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_40_0/more/getting_started/windows.html
(especially #5.3.4) cmake didn't work "out of the box" with my freshly compiled boost.

Cheers,
Cristian.