On 12/22/2009 7:11 AM, David Wolfe wrote:
                                            Most of our external
dependencies aren't even built using CMake, so 'CMake-ifying' everything
under one big über-build hardly seems worth it...

On 12/22/2009 6:50 AM, David Cole wrote:
One way to overcome these things, but still build projects from source
code as needed is to use a new feature in CMake 2.8: the ExternalProject
module...

Wow. That could be *really* useful---especially the fact that it allows
you to download sources from the web, CVS, svn, etc.  It might be enough
to change my mind about maintaining a separate externals archive. :-)