Hi all,

While I'm hitting this list today I want to ask a question about dealing with
multiple build configurations in Visual Studio with badly behaved third-party
libraries.

I would like to be able - in the same binary directory / generated Solution -
to build both Debug and Release builds of my project.  Some of the targets in
my project depend on third-party libraries that absolutely must be linked to
the same MSVRT as my project due to misuse of memory resources.  This implies
that my target has to have different TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES settings for Release
and Debug, but the configuration choice is not made until we are in the VS IDE,
long after CMake has generated the project.  There are also reasons this is
desirable even when not strictly required by bad behavior of the third-party
library.

It's easy enough to update Find scripts to find both debug and release settings
of the same library (a la OpenSceneGraph or Qt) and our third-party directory
structure would support that, but I have no idea if it's possible to specify
configuration-specific link dependencies for Visual Studio that are correctly
honored in the IDE.

Right now we have separate binary directories for Release and Debug builds of
the project.   It works, but this greatly frustrates those on our team who are
accustomed to Visual Studio workflow in a single Solution - of course, me being
historically a Linux developer I didn't think anything of it.  It also means
that the Debug configuration in the Release binary directory produces broken
code, and vice-versa, which frequently costs us about 30 minutes when we
accidentally build the wrong configuration without noticing because the IDE
always defaults to Debug after project generation.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Gregory Peele, Jr.
Applied Research Associates, Inc.