I noticed that it generates the following output:
-- Check if this is a free VC compiler - yes
I do not think I am using a free VC compiler, something is wrong here.
Is it possible to use nmake with Visual Studio 2008 compiler using cmake
2.8?

Are you running cmake from a shell that has the environment setup correctly for cl to work?

foo.cxx
#include <iostream>
int main() { std::cout << "hello\n";}

cl foo.cxx

Does that work for you?

What version of the compiler did you install? The commercial versions of the compiler have a VS command prompt under the tools menu that you can use to create a shell with the correct env to run the compiler.

-Bill