Hi Brad,

Perhaps this means that _DF_VERSION_ is available only as a Fortran
language symbol.

It would look that way, but what use would it have then?

So we conclude that the compiler provides no way to identify itself
using the preprocessor.  This will need non-trivial work in CMake to
recognize it.  We'll have to start running unrecognized compilers
with various "-V", "--version", etc. arguments hoping to find one
that prints the compiler name.

What is the output of

  f90 -what

I ran f90 -what:

Compaq Visual Fortran Optimizing Compiler Version 6.6 (Update C)
Copyright 2003 Compaq Computer Corp. All rights reserved.

Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6-4088-47D3B
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\DF98\BIN\decfor90.exe

Regards,

Arjen