Quoting PG on 02/24/2010 06:00 PM:

Hi Bill,

Can you create a small example that shows the problem you are having?

what do you mean by a small example? A simple CMakeList.txt file with
some code to compile?
I will try to to this with some code anyone could compile, but it may
take me some time as I am booked with other things.

I tried to create a simple example with 2 libraries A and B organized as described in my first email, and couldn't reproduce the error.

I finally discovered that my problem was linked to the particular library B I was using (the libmat.so library from Matlab, for those who wonder), and that by setting CMAKE_PLATFORM_USES_PATH_WHEN_NO_SONAME to OFF the full path to B was kept.

I don't really understand what this variable changes in the cmake behaviour, but when set to ON cmake split the library full path in a link search directory (and seems to put the -L at the beginning of the linked library list) and a -l flag.

So now I have in the link.txt file a line that looks like:
  /usr/bin/c++ [...] -lA /some/path/B -Wl,-rpath,/some/path
and cmake complains about not being able to generate a safe runtime search path...

CMake Warning at CMakeLists.txt:77 (add_executable):
  Cannot generate a safe runtime search path for target target because
  files in some directories may conflict with libraries in implicit
  directories:

    runtime library [A] in /usr/lib may be hidden by files in:
      /some/path

  Some of these libraries may not be found correctly.

As I am not very familiar with these rpath things, I don't know what to do with this runtime path warning.

Pierre